Hilux Set Up

Vehicle prep for big trip

We’re heading off on an expedition to Melbourne and back but there’s a few things on the ol’ girl that need to be addressed:

d697 bridgestone worn tyres

New tyres. These ones still have a bit of tread left but for a big outback mission I reckon new ones might be handy.

hilux bash plate cable tie repair

New bash plates. The factory ones have been bent and straightened a few times but finally the mounts broke and have been held in place by cable ties for a while.

new hilux bash plate installed

New bash plates installed. Usually I don’t like after market bash plates coz they are too heavy and not necessary for the type of work I do (unless trying to look cool). However the after market ones were cheaper than genuine.

air compressor broken

New air compressor. The old one busted a valve and aint pumpin no more.

arb bull bar side wing broken

Repair the bull bar side wing panels. Both sides broke due to corrugations on the Gibb River Road.

side wing repair plate

Bit of flat bar used to fashion a new piece for the side wing.

bull bar side wing installed

Side wings fixed. Thanks Davo for your expert welding effort!

bull bar bait board

Out with the spot lights and in with a bait board. I find the factory lights to be ample. I cut bait a lot more often than I used the spot lights. Plus this is more aerodynamic and better for the cooling system.

drawer runners broken

Repair broken drawer runner. These tabs slot into the drawer sides and are what support all the weight in the drawers.

drawer runner repaired

New tab welded onto drawer runners. Thanks Bruce for your expert metal work skills!

hilux front strut bush collapsed

Replace front strut bottom bush. I’ve now got myself a press so I did the bushes myself.

hilux injector feedback values

Check the injectors. All good.

new extension to work bench for burner

New sliding extension to work bench for stove / burner. This stabilizes the burner and gives us more bench space.

new steel canopy with roof top tent

New canopy. The sliding side windows of the old canopy just weren’t cutting the cheese. These new lift up side windows are great. We can actually use the space at the front of the canopy.

new roof top tent rack

New home made roof rack for the roof top tent. Thanks tek screws!

Now we’re ready to hit the road. We’re off to the Nullarbor.

Advertisements

4 replies »

    • Hi David they had a hard life and held up pretty well for most of it. I started to get some uneven wear and other funny stuff happening towards the end. I’ll put a detailed article up when i get a chance. I think they’re good strong tyres. I got roughly 70k out of them which is ok but some tyres I’ve heard last longer. I decided to try something different for the new set.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.