Well the Big F###-off Camp is over and Hong is back in Perth whilst I retire back to my house duties. Here for you is a quick summary of the BFCV2 mainly to get some photos up, more details on each location to come on future posts.
Fish landed (undersized not counted)
Mangrove Snail: many
Mud Crab: 3
Threadfin Salmon: 1
Other Bush Tucker Gathered and Eaten
Green ants: tastes like lemon
Green ant larvae: tastes like bland puss
Palm Heart: tastes like sweet miscellaneous vegetable
Pandanus nuts: tastes like rich oily nuts
Pandanus cabbage: tastes like raw cabbage
Supplejack: tastes like miscellaneous vegetables with a hint of brussel sprouts.
– Learning the Northern Territory tradition of drinking XXXX Gold mid strength beer all day every day.
– Both Hong and Joe landing sized barra. Not the biggest, but acceptable.
– Landing so many catfish we considered becoming specialist catfish fishermen.
– Getting separated from vehicle and camp on wrong side of Shady Camp barrage at night when a 3m crocodile decided to lay on the barrage, blocking our only route back to camp. At the same time there were many crocodiles in front and behind us in the water on both sides of the barrage. Actually there were a ridiculous quantity of crocodiles, we counted around 20 at one time. I feel I have exhausted my luck after being trapped by so many crocodiles and getting away with it. Time to stay away from crocodiles for a while.
– Being at 4 Mile Hole in Kakadu National Park during crocodile research. A research team caught and released a crocodile for measurements and tagging. We were able to watch and learn about crocodiles and get some photos.
– Hong being decimated by biting midges at West Alligator Head in Kakadu National Park.
– Hilux recovery of a stricken Prado from a mud bog in Kakadu National Park.